New Residents
       Search for Property
       Homestead Exemption
          About Homestead Exemptions
          Senior Homestead Exemption FAQ
          Apply for Homestead Exemptions
          Homestead Application Status
       Billing Information
          General Tax Bill Information
          Deadlines and Due Dates
          Billing for City Taxes
          Millage Rate Information
          Property Tax Payment Methods
       Hours and Locations
       Delinquent Tax Information
          Paying Your Delinquent Bill
          Tax Lien & Tax Sale General Information
          Understanding Penalty, Interest & Fee Charges
       Mobile Home Information
          Registering & Titling
       Other Information
          Tax Assessor's Office
          Determining Who is Legally Responsible for Payment
          Updating the Property Owner Information
          Just Bought a Home or Property
          Just Sold a Home or Property
       Bulk Payments
          Bulk Payment Submission Requirements
          Instructions & Pricing for Obtaining Lender File
       Unclaimed Refunds
       Tax Sale Excess Funds
Motor Vehicle
       New Residents
       Tag Office Hours and Locations
       Vehicle Registration
          Renew my Tag Online
          When to Renew 
          Four Ways to Renew 
          Transfer a Tag
          New to Georgia
          New to Gwinnett
          Request a Renewal Notice
          Get a Duplicate Registration
          Register a Recently Purchased Vehicle
          Determine Ad Valorem Tax Due
          Special Tags
       General Titling
          Titling a Recently Purchased Vehicle
          Titling a Vehicle - Recently Established Residence
          Donating a Vehicle
          Sales Tax on Vehicles Purchased Out-of-State
          Selling a Vehicle to a Private Party
          Selling or Trading-in a Vehicle to a Dealer
          Name Change
          Replacement Title
          Obtain a Georgia Title
          Title Bond
       Inheritance Titling
          Titling an Inherited Vehicle
          Selling an Inherited Vehicle
       Cancel My Registration
       Emission Testing
       Vehicle Insurance 
       Change of Address
       Dealer Services
          Dealer, Mail and Fleet Operations
          Dealer, Mail and Fleet Address
          Tag & Title Services
          Dealer TAVT Calculator Worksheets
       Business and Fleet
          Business and Fleet Title Information
          Business and Fleet Registration Information
          Dealer, Mail and Fleet Address
       IRP Registrations     
          IRP Registrations
          IRS Form 2290 Heavy Road Use Tax
       Disabled Person's Placards and Plates
       Proof of Residency
       Other Information
          Servicemember's Affidavit
          Register my Homemade Trailer
       Payment Options
       Identification Requirements for Title Transactions
View/Pay Your Taxes

Print this Page | Email this Page

Emission Testing

How Do I ... How Do I ...
Motor Vehicle Forms Motor Vehicle Forms

For 2015 registrations, all 1991 through 2012 model year gasoline-powered cars or light trucks (up to 8,500 lbs) must have a valid Georgia emission inspection.  

An emission inspection must be completed prior to submitting a vehicle renewal to receive a registration decal. Visit www.cleanairforce.com for additional emission test information.

  • Where to Go: Newer vehicles can be inspected at any emission inspection station. Look for an inspection station sign that reads "1996 or Newer Vehicles Welcome" or "All Vehicles Welcome." Vehicle models 1995 or older can only be inspected at stations marked "All Vehicles Welcome." For a list of certified testing locations, click here.
  • Inspect Early: It's best to get your vehicle inspected four to six weeks before the registration renewal date (the first vehicle owner’s birthday), in the event repairs need to be made.  An emission inspection is valid for 12 months or for one registration renewal by the same owner.
  • Providing Proof of Emission Inspection:  The emission inspection station that completes the emission testing is required to electronically submit the test results to the Georgia Department of Revenue motor vehicle database. If the emission information is not in the database electronically, submit the original emission certificate to the Gwinnett County tag office, along with the payment, in person or by mail.

If the Vehicle Does Not Pass the Emission Test

  • It is the owner’s responsibility to renew the vehicle’s registration by the due date to avoid paying tax and/or tag penalties.
  • A tag and/or decal cannot be issued if the vehicle did not pass the emission test.
  • If the vehicle does not pass the emission test, the owner(s) should pay any ad valorem taxes due on the vehicle by the renewal due date to avoid paying a 10 percent ad valorem tax penalty.
  • Please note that if ad valorem taxes are paid on time, but the tag and/or decal cannot be renewed by the due date because of a failed emission test, the state still assesses a tag penalty of $5. 
  • Georgia’s Clean Air Force recommends having your vehicle inspected four to six weeks prior to the registration renewal date in the event repairs need to be made.

For more information on emission testing, visit www.cleanairforce.com.

Senior Emission Waiver (Senior Exemption)

Senior Exemptions: If you are age 65 or older and are a registered owner of a vehicle 10 model years old or older, and if you drive less than 5,000 miles per year, you may be eligible for a senior exemption. Complete a Senior Exemption Application online

Gwinnett County tag offices process senior emission waivers (exemptions) for Gwinnett residents.

Out-of-Area Extensions

Out-of-Area Extensions: If you (or a family member) and your Georgia-registered vehicle are temporarily located outside the 13-county emission testing area of Georgia due to school, military or business obligations, you may qualify for an Out-of-Area Extension.

Visit the Georgia Clean Air Force website for applications and information.

Repair Waivers

Repair Waivers:  To apply for a repair waiver, visit a Georgia Clean Air Force Center.  Locations of these centers, along with general information and requirements, are available at the Georgia Clean Air Force website.


Updated 1/2/2015