New Residents
       Customer Survey
       Search for Property
       Homestead Exemption
          About Homestead Exemptions
          Determining the Exemption that is Best for Me
          Deadlines and Due Dates
          Senior Homestead Exemption FAQ
          Apply for Homestead Exemptions
          Homestead Application Status
       Billing Information
          General Tax Bill Information
          Billing for City Taxes
          Millage Rate Information
          Property Tax Payment Methods
          Understanding Your Stormwater Fee
       Hours and Locations
       Delinquent Tax Information
          Paying Your Delinquent Bill
          Tax Lien & Tax Sale General Information
          Understanding Penalty, Interest & Fee Charges
       Mobile Home Information
          Registering & Titling
       Other Information
          Tax Assessor's Office
          Determining Who is Legally Responsible for Payment
          Updating the Property Owner Information
          Just Bought a Home or Property
          Just Sold a Home or Property
       Mortgage Company Information
          Payment Submission Requirements
          Liaison Contact Information
          Instructions & Pricing for Obtaining Lender File
          Just Bought a Home or Property
       Glossary of Terms
       Unclaimed Refunds
       Tax Sale Excess Funds
Motor Vehicle
       New Residents
       Customer Survey
       Tag Office Hours and Locations
       Vehicle Registration
          Renew my Tag Online
          When to Renew 
          Four Ways to Renew 
          Transfer a Tag
          New to Georgia
          New to Gwinnett
          Request a Renewal Notice
          Get a Duplicate Registration
          Register a Vehicle I Recently Purchased 
             From a Dealership
             From an Individual/Business (not a dealership)
          Determine Ad Valorem Tax Due
       General Titling
          Titling a Vehicle Purchased from a Dealer
          Titling a Vehicle from an Individual or a Business
          Titling a Vehicle - Recently Established Residence
          Buying a New or Used Vehicle
          Donating a Vehicle
          Sales Tax on Vehicles Purchased Out-of-State
          Selling a Vehicle to a Private Party
          Selling or Trading-in a Vehicle to a Dealer
          Name Change Due to Divorce
          Name Change Due to Marriage
          Name Change Due to Court Order
          Replacement Title
          Title Bond
       Inheritance Titling
          Titling an Inherited Vehicle
          Selling an Inherited Vehicle - No Will
          Selling an Inherited Vehicle - Non-Probated Will
          Selling an Inherited Vehicle - Probated Will
       Cancel My Registration
       Emission Testing
       Vehicle Insurance 
       Change of Address
       Dealer Services
          Dealer, Mail and Fleet Operations
          Dealer, Mail and Fleet Address
          Tag & Title Services
          Dealer TAVT Calculator Worksheets
       Business and Fleet
          Business and Fleet Title Information
          Business and Fleet Registration Information
          Dealer, Mail and Fleet Address
       IRP Registrations     
          IRP Registrations
          IRS Form 2290 Heavy Road Use Tax
       Disabled Person's Placards and Plates
       Proof of Residency
       Other Information
          Determine Ad Valorem Tax Due
          Special Tags
          Servicemember's Affidavit
          Register my Homemade Trailer
       Payment Options
       Identification Requirements for Title Transactions
View/Pay Your Taxes

Print this Page | Email this Page

Replacement Titles

How Do I ... How Do I ...
Motor Vehicle Forms Motor Vehicle Forms

To apply for a replacement title in Gwinnett County, the vehicle must have a current title on record in your name in the state of Georgia, and you must reside in Gwinnett County.

If you have moved out of state, and the last title issued for your vehicle was in the state of Georgia, you may apply for a replacement title in Gwinnett as long as your last Georgia address was a Gwinnett address. If your last Georgia address was a county other than Gwinnett, you must contact that county to apply for a replacement title.

If your vehicle is currently titled in another state, you must contact that state to obtain a replacement title.

Note: Once a replacement title has been issued, any previous title is null and void.

Title Application (Form MV-1

  • All owners on the title must sign the title application. 
  • If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett County tag office, the form can be filled out online, printed and signed.
  • The original title application must be submitted with all owners’ signatures.
  • The owner may complete a Limited Power of Attorney form (Form T-8) to authorize another person to sign on their behalf.

Note: The original, notarized Limited Power of Attorney must be submitted.

Lien/Security Interest Release

  • If your vehicle previously had a lien that has been released, you will need to bring a Lien Release form (Form T-4with an original signature (no photocopies or faxes) that has been completed by your lien holder.
  • If any lien or security interest has not been satisfied, an application for replacement title may still be processed, but the title will be sent to the lien or security interest holder.  


The current mileage of the vehicle is needed, or the mileage shown on the previous Georgia title will be carried over to the replacement.

Valid Georgia Driver’s License or Georgia Identification Card of the Current Titled Owner(s)

  • All owners on the title must present a valid Georgia DL or Georgia ID Card.
  • If any owner is not able to visit a Gwinnett County tag office, a legible photocopy of the Georgia DL or Georgia ID Card is required.
  • If you need information on how to obtain a Georgia DL or Georgia ID Card, click here.

Valid Out-of-State Driver’s License or Out-of-State Issued Identification Card

  • If you have moved out of state and have changed your driver’s license or identification card, you must submit a legible photocopy of the out-of-state license or ID card with your application.  


  • A fee of $8 is required if the title application is processed at a Gwinnett County tag office.
  • If there are outstanding fees such as unpaid ad valorem taxes or insurance lapse/suspension fees, those fees will be collected prior to processing an application for a replacement title.
  • When applying by mail, send all required documents along with a check, cashier’s check or money order to:
Gwinnett County Tax Commissioner
PO Box 829
Lawrenceville, GA 30046-0829

 Additional Information 

Under normal circumstances, the information provided above is required to process an application for a replacement title. Other documentation may be required upon review of the paperwork.


Updated 10/2/2013